The Post-Graduation Program in Applied Social Sciences seeks to contribute with the qualification of teachers from several Public Universities, as well as other Higher Education Institutions. It focuses on the improvement of teaching practices and these teachers’ level of professional performance, as an opportunity for anyone with a degree, teaching or not, to update and broaden horizons.
The program advisors are constantly concerned to provide qualification and continuous recycling of professionals and teachers aiming to encourage research and efficient intervention in social life, mainly regarding issues and demands directly related to the region where the University is located.
The proposal of the UEPG Post-Graduation Program in Applied Social Sciences considers research in a broader view of the social and human sciences, as well as in the conceptual and methodological dialogue with other areas of knowledge. In this sense, it prioritizes the interdisciplinary perspective to the construction of the scientific knowledge, taking into consideration the complexity of social life phenomena, the new forms of knowledge production, and the generation of new concepts and methodologies.
The construction of an interdisciplinary practice is made concrete through the guidelines designed for the Program, seeking to train a professional with a distinct profile, with solid basic education which integrates different kinds of knowledge. The program works on different areas of knowledge, which might not belong to the same class, but which contribute to the advance of science and technology borders, through the transfer of methods from one area to another generating new knowledge or disciplines.
The Post-Graduation Program in Applied Social Sciences also aims at strengthening the scientific research, broadening the production and improving the quality of professors working at the graduation level, and promoting qualification for students in the undergraduate research such as the Scientific Initiation Program (PIBIC CNPq/UEPG/Fundação Araucária).
The general objectives of the UEPG Program in Applied Social Sciences are:
- To qualify researchers in the area of applied social sciences with an interdisciplinary perspective to approach and analyze problems and themes in their area of study and the program research lines;
- To prepare professionals in the broad area of Applied Social Sciences and related areas, through integrated teaching and research activities, to the teaching career, so that they are able to develop research throughout their practice;
- To encourage the development of scientific and professional critical reasoning, from an interdisciplinary perspective, in the themes comprised by the Program area of study;
- To train human resources into a scientific, political and technical practice within the different specific competences conferred by different graduation courses, aiming at the improvement of life in society.
- To promote academic production, through events, courses, and publication of research results using all kinds of media;
- To cooperate with the improvement in the quality of UEPG and other higher education institutions graduation courses, through teachers and undergraduate students development;
- To contribute with the deepening of scientific reflections in the area of Applied Social Sciences, with an interdisciplinary perspective to approach the different objects of study which are defined by the program area of study and research lines.
- To impede the fragmentation of knowledge on the human and social reality is a challenge posed to the researchers, thus, the program seeks to develop research methodology which integrates knowledge from different areas involved in its area of study.
The Program has a Master’s and a Doctorate Courses and develops its teaching and research activities aiming at qualifying a critical professional, fully committed with the empowerment processes taking place in the social realities where this professional works, either teaching or in the field of public policies, civil society and social practices. As a researcher, the professional must be able to dialogue with different theoretical and methodological perspectives; contribute with the construction and socialization of critical knowledge on the different social issues, as well as with the improvement of the cultural and social level of people who experience processes of social, economic, political and cultural exclusion.